Learning a Language In-Country
Learning a language where it is spoken is one of the Top 5 wishes on every learner's bucket list. In this episode, we explore stories and tips about language learning - including Lindsay's travels to Costa Rica, and what Kerstin's English was like on day 1 in England.
- What's different between home learning and in-country learning?
- The risk and benefit of having a "home library" for language learning
- How can you build your in-country vocabulary?
- Why having no choice is the single best thing you can do for your language skills
- The three types of in-country learning: Short Stay, Mid-Stay and Complete Life Change
- How to rank and assess your language level on the "Kerstin Cable Breakfast Food Scale"
- German learners! Kerstin is inviting you to come to Germany and speak for a week at the Fluent German Retreat
- Exactly what to do when people correct you as you speak another language
- What does it mean when you start to dream and think in another language?
Listen here or download from itunes
Plus: Bonus Secret
We started off the show comparing a few Duolingo notes, and finally find out what happens when you finish a Duolingo skill tree.
Links and Resources from this Show
- Becoming Fluent book by Roger Kreuz and Richard Roberts
- Creative Language Learning Podcast Episode 32 - the one about habit building
- Learn German in Germany with Kerstin at the Fluent German Retreat
- Lindsay's "Learning x in x" Series on Youtube
- Derren Brown
- David Blaine's interview
- Paul McKenna - stage hypnotist and self help guy
- Flashsticks - they're awesome
Please Support Our Sponsor
Episode 44 of the Creative Language Learning Podcast is kindly sponsored by our friends at Flashsticks. Check out their new app Flash Academy. It's a language playground offering you light lessons, games and quizzes. Go check it out for free at Flash Sticks and get 10% off everything at the site with code KERSTIN10.