In episode 55, friend of the show Kris Broholm from Actual Fluency joined me to discuss mindset and accountability in language learning that come from a place of reality and gentle confidence.
Tune in to hear us chat and share:
- Great advice for English speakers who want to have early success in a new language
- Language learning is such a complicated jigsaw puzzle, so how can we really track what we have actually learnt?
- Is it presumptuous, are you lacking humility if you set yourself a big, impressive goal?
- How the reason you are learning a language is DIRECTLY connnected to the success that you are going to have a week, 3 months, and perhaps 12 months down the line
- The one thing you MUST have in order to get language learning motivated - a sense of "this is who I am"
Four Tendencies in Language Learning
We revisit perspectives on the 4 tendencies framework Lindsay and I discussed in episode 32. Kris is on record as an Obliger, saying:
"It would be Embarrassing to tell people that I gave up."
Links From This Episode
- Vladimiar Putin interviewed by Oliver Stone (sadly, no bear or horse)
- The Language Habit Toolkit
- Gretchen Rubin
- Kris's Course Language Routine Mastery
- Clear the List on Kris's Actual Fluency blog
- The James Altucher Podcast
Leave us an iTunes Review
Your feedback is extremely important to the show. It gives us inspiration, topics, ideas, and it makes us happy. Find us on Twitter and Instagram using hashtag #cllp
You can help our show by going on itunes and leaving us a review yourself - we are invisible without your help!