In Episode 8, my guest is Lindsay Dow, a really enthusiastic and cool independent language teacher from the UK. Lindsay is well-known for her great Youtube videos about all aspects of language learning, and she was also a winner in the Sensational Fluent Giveaway.
“No one learns a language because they want their life to stay the same.”
The show doesn't follow the usual interview format, instead Lindsay came on as a co-host and talked about her favourite blogs and articles, as well as her own story of language learning. She also helped me select the Tip of the Week.
Some of the highlights:
- How music and lyrics from Sheffield can teach you great English
- Which Asian language was a total eye-opener for Lindsay
- Why travelling is the greatest motivation for language learning
- How to stop getting bored by the language you’re learning (hint: Celebrity crushes help!)
- Our exclusive permission to you: Learn AS MANY LANGUAGES AS YOU LIKE
Language Learning Tip of The Week
Set yourself some goals and challenges, write them down and try your best to achieve them. For example, making a language video, writing a blog article in another language or reviewing 50 items on Memrise could be a goal.
It's important to make sure that you do go easy on yourself if you don't hit the goal. It doesn't make you a failure, so make sure you know how to do better next time and move on!
Our Tool and Blog Recommendations for the Week
- Wordreference and Linguee, two great online dictionaries
- Language Surfer
- Koko the Polyglot
- A Frog's Life - un blog BD français
- Oh My God My Wife is German
Language Book Recommendations
- The Meaning of Tingo: and Other Extraordinary Words from Around the World
- Through the Language Glass by Guy Deutscher
And Here are the Other Sites and Tools we Mentioned
- Feedly and Bloglovin for following all the blogs your heart desires
- The Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
- The Next Tango in Paris by Ta-Nehisi Coates on the Atlantic
- 12 Mind Blowing Number Systems from Other Languages